Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Is a Diigo a dog?

My web is so vast, it is sometimes a chore
To keep up with all I've left piled at the door.
What do you do to keep track of your things?
To find them again when the final bell rings? 

I have been using the Diigo social bookmarking application since the fall to keep track of my numerous bookmarks gathered from my UBC classes, the many blogs, websites and Twitter feeds I follow.  I have used Diigo to create different "lists", for different courses or different projects I have been working on, and have "tagged" the sites so they are easier to find again.  I have also used the highlighting and annotating function in Diigo to, well, highlight and annotate things I want to remember on the pages.


I have been happy with using Diigo in this way, but really want to see how I can use Diigo at school to create lists of resources for students to use on research projects.  I envision creating lists but then allowing students to add to the lists as well.  Richardson (2010) describes how teachers can use Diigo groups with their students who can then access the collected links from home or school.  Groups of teachers can also use Diigo lists for collecting information and articles for ProD (Richardson, 2010).

As I went to explore Diigo farther, I noticed that they have a special Diigo Educator Account.

According to their website, Diigo Educator Accounts have the following features:

  • You can create student accounts for an entire class with just a few clicks (and student email addresses are optional for account creation)
  • Students of the same class are automatically set up as a Diigo group so they can start using all the benefits that a Diigo group provides, such as group bookmarks and annotations, and group forums.
  • Privacy settings of student accounts are pre-set so that only teachers and classmates can communicate with them.
  • Ads presented to student account users are limited to education-related sponsors.
This looks very interesting, I am going to apply for an educators account and see what I can do with it.  


References:

Diigo, Inc. (2011). What are Diigo Educator Accounts?  Retrieved from http://www.diigo.com/education

Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment